Welcome to the Drawing Room

Hello! I assume you are here desiring an audience with Lord Heartless? He is out at the moment but I anticipate his return at any time. Until then, find a comfortable chair, settle in, and enjoy a spot of tea. Browse through the available reading material, learn what you can of the heartless duke, and decide if you really want to meet him. Please leave your calling card in the form of a comment.

It was lovely to see you! Please stop by again.

***Please BEWARE*** If you have yet to read Heartless, certain aspects of the story may be inadvertently spoiled for you here. Please take care while exploring.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Re-Releasing Heartless ~ KDP Select

I promised I'd explain my reasons for choosing to enroll Heartless in the KDP Select program, thus making it unavailable at any other eBook retailer for at least a 90-day period, and here they are....


KDP Select....

Amazon has a program called KDP Select in which Amazon receives exclusivity of an eBook for 90 days. For those 90 days the eBook is given more attention on Amazon than it would if it wasn't enrolled in Select. I'd also have the option to do free days, days in which Heartless would be free for up to five days. I can even space these days out throughout the 90-day period. Meanwhile, the title could be borrowed (for "free"*) by anyone who has Amazon Prime. 

Now, anyone who knows me knows I despise the exclusivity part of the KDP Select contract. DESPISE IT. I believe exclusivity should only be granted to a publisher, one who has the goal of getting the book listed in as many eBook retail sites as possible. The Select agreement even states that I can't give copies away on my own site. That particularly irks me.

That said, I want to get Heartless into as many readers' hands as possible and I do think the Select program can help me get a jumpstart on that. So Heartless will first be released in the Kindle Store for 90 days, kind of like a pre-publication test run. When the 90 days are up, it will then be removed from the Select program and uploaded to all the other eBook retailers through Smashwords. 

I apologize for the additional wait for Nook, Kobo, Apple, and Sony readers. It will reach those outlets, I promise. I refuse to allow Amazon exclusivity longer than 90 days. I also refuse to deny my non-Kindle readers the ability to download the format they prefer. However, if you just can't wait, Amazon has many free reading apps for the purpose of reading Kindle books without a Kindle.

All that said, Heartless will appear in the Kindle Store very, very soon.

*I say "free" because Amazon Prime costs an annual fee, thus it's not really free. However, some have received a free Prime subscription to get them "hooked" or because they are a student.

No comments: